Vitamin and Herbs
by Patrick Austin
Austin is a freelance writer who covers sports and health
for a number of web sites including RealGM.com, Hoopsworld.com,
and Fanstop.com. He currently also covers entertainment and
sports for Vainquer magazine.
Best Vitamin and Herbs
If you care about your health, then youve probably taken
a vitamin and herbs some time in your life. Adding quality vitamins
and herbs to your daily routine may help prevent certain diseases
like cancer, heart disease, etc.
Vitamins are basically what keep the human body going. You need
to get vitamins from either your food or by supplementation. If
you dont, you will quickly fall into illness. But be aware
that it is possible to take too much of one vitamin. How can you
take too much of a vitamin? Well, vitamins have two categorieswater-soluble
and fat-soluble. You cannot overdose on water-soluble vitamins
since they are excreted through your urine and will only stay
in your system for a few hours. But you can damage your system
by taking too many fat-soluble vitamins. How? Because they are
stored in the liver and can remain in your body for longer periods
of time. Too much can lead to an overload in your body, making
Herbs have been used throughout history. Some remedies are recorded
on ancient Egyptian walls and papyrus scrolls. They were used
to treat just about every ailment imaginable, sickness, and disease.
Heres a breakdown of the most common vitamins and herbs
Vitamins, approx. dosage, and what they're used for: (Consult
your physician before using)
- A (Beta-Carotene) 10,000 IU An antioxidant used for skin,
eyes, teeth and bones.
- B Complex All B vitamins are taken as a group, hence, B complex.
- B1 (Thiamine) 50 mg For nervous system, body growth and body
- B2 (Riboflavin) 50 mg Aids in the formation of red blood cells
and antibodies. And for metabolism.
- B3 (Niacin) 100 mg Aids in maintaining good skin and digestive
- B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 100 mg Helps with stress, aids in the
release of energy from fats and carbohydrates.
- B6 (Pyridoxine) 50 mcg Helps balance sodium & phosphorus.
Aids in formation of antibodies.
- B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 200 mcg Aids in formation of blood cells,
helps metabolism and nervous system.
- Biotin 200 mcg Aids in the utilization of other vitamins.
- Choline 100 mg Helps in nerve transmission, liver and gallbladder
- Folic Acid 400 mcg Aids the brain function and for normal
- Inositol 150 mg Is a necessary component it hair growth.
- PABA ( Para- Aminobenzoic Acid) 25 mg Protects the skin against
sunburn. Needed for hair color, and blood formation.
- C ( Ascorbic Acid) 2,000 mg An antioxidant, heals wounds,
tissue, bone repair, helps resist infections.
- D 400 IU Required for the body to absorb calcium & phosphorus.
Helps the nervous system.
- E 500 IU Prevents cancer and cardiovascular disease. An antioxidant
helps blood clotting.
- K 100 mcg Necessary for normal blood clotting.
- Bioflavinoids 400 mcg Helps strengthen capillaries and aids
in absorption of vitamin C.
- Coenzyme Q10 25 mg Aids in the effectiveness of the immune
Herb and what used for:
- Alfalfa Detoxifies the liver, anti-fungal, colon health.
- Bee pollen Used to combat allergies, fatigue and depression.
- Black cohosh Promotes well being during menopause.
- Bladderwrack Used for weight control, increases thyroid activity,
water absorption. This herb is a type of Kelp.
- Burdock root For immune system, skin disorders, aids the liver.
- Castleberry Promotes balance in woman's monthly cycle.
- Dandelion A diuretic, reduces cholesterol.
- Echinacea Promotes healthy immune function and general well
- Evening primrose oil Aids in weight loss & reduces high
- Garlic Reduces blood cholesterol, anti-infection agent, detoxifies
- Ginkgo biloba Promotes healthy brain & cognitive abilities.
- Ginseng Positive effect on fatigue, stress and promotes male
sex gland health.
- Goldenseal Strengthens the immune system. Has anti-bacterial
and anti-biotic properties.
- Gotu cola Acts as a diuretic, elimination of body fluid, aids
liver and heart, reduces tissue inflammation.
- Grape seed Protects from free-radicals & premature aging.
- Hawthorn Promotes healthy blood vessels, liver and heart function.
- Horse chestnut Used to enhance circulation in the legs and
to promote vascular well being.
- Juniper berries Reduces inflammation of sinusitis. A diuretic.
Helps the kidneys, bladder.
- Kava kava Calming & soothing, it promotes feeling of well
- Kelp Promotes healthy thyroid function, arteries, brain tissue
for energy production.
- Milk thistle Promotes healthy liver function & helps protect
- Nettle root Promotes healthy prostrate and urinary function.
- Red wine extract Promotes healthy cardiovascular system.
- Saw palmetto Promotes healthy prostrate function.
- St. John's wort Helps enhance & elevate mood, provides
sense of well being, anti-depression effects.
- Valerian root Provides a mild tranquil effect, reduces nervousness.
If you'd like to find more information about a good vitamin and
herbs, check out these sites...