Crab Cake Recipe
by Mónica P. Vazquez
Crab cake is a very popular dish in Maryland and you can find them
everywhere. But Maryland Crab Cake is just one style of crab cake -from
international recipes to low sugar intake ones, the range of choice is wide.
Some just use a different sauce dressing, others add one or two special
ingredients, the result is different flavours that make crab cake a popular
choice for many people all around the globe.
In fact, there are almost as many crab cake recipes as there are crabs, but
one and only one had to be the first, the original one. What about this one?
The Basic Crab Cake Recipe (or nearly)
1 pound of lump crab meat.
2 slices bread (without the crust).
2 eggs beaten
2 tbsp. mayonnaise.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Mix your mayonnaise and eggs together and set aside
2. Put crab meat in a bowl and add bread in crumbs and seasonings
3. Put the egg and mayonnaise mixture on top
4. Mix it all together. Be careful not to break apart all the lumps
5. Refrigerate for 2 hours
6. Form into crab cakes and fry with butter until brown on each side
Old Bay Standard Crab Cake Recipe
Take basic recipe and add some milk, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and Old
Bay Seasoning... Yes, this is the Old Bay crab cake recipe, for 4-6
1 pound crab meat
2 slices bread (without the crust)
1 egg beaten
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Break bread into small pieces, moisten with milk
2. Add remaining ingredientes
3. Mix it all together. Be careful not to break apart all the lumps
4. Shape into cakes (6)
5. Broil or Fry with butter or oil until brown on each side
Maryland Crab Cake Recipe
It all comes down to ... Mustard
Take Old Bays' recipe, add 1 tsp prepared mustard and chill for 30 minutes
before frying the cakes, and what do you get? Homestyle Crab Cakes, a
classic Maryland style crab cake recipe.
Baltimore Crab Cake Recipe
When hard-cooked eggs and Tartare sauce can make a difference ...
2 cups crabmeat (fresh or canned), drained, boned, and flaked
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup finely crushed saltines
1. Mix crabmeat, beaten eggs, melted butter, chopped hard-cooked eggs,
parsley, salt, pepper, and cayenne
2. Toss together lightly
3. Chill 1 hour
4. Shape mixture into 8 cakes
5. Coat cakes with cracker crumbs
6. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into heavy skillet and heat to 375°.
7. Fry cakes until golden brown.
8. Serve with Tartare Sauce.
Low Sugar Crab Cake Recipe
A special crab cake recipe for people who need to control sugar intake
1 pound fresh crabmeat
2 slices fresh white bread (in crumbs)
1/4 c chopped green onions
1/4 c low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 egg white, beaten
2 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Mix crabmeat, breadcrumbs and green onions.
3. Add 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of mustard and egg white.
4. Shape mixture into cakes (8).
5. Roll lightly in remaining 3/4 cup of crumbs.
6. Heat large skillet over medium heat until hot.
7. Add 1 tsp of oil. Add cakes and cook 4-5 minutes per side until golden
8. Place crabcakes on tray when cooked and keep them in the oven until all
cakes are cooked.
9. Serve immediately.
Spanish Crab Cake Recipe -
One big cake, instead of 6 small ones. A complete different concept of Crab
What do you get when you order Crab Cake (Pastel de Cangrejo) in Spain? Surely, something pretty different from what you expect, specially if you are from USA.
Pastel de Cangrejo ... y olé!
1 pound crab meat
3 cans tunna
1 cup cream
1. Use blender to mix all ingredients thouroughly
2. Lightly grease (with butter) a pan and put mix in.
3. Preheat oven over medium-high
4. Place pan inside a bigger container with hot water
5. Oven for 1 hour, medium-high, or until the mix gets solid
6. Let stand 1 hour to unmold
7. Refrigerate and serve cold
8. Serve with you favourite sauce
More on crabs and crab cake recipes:
For recipes you can use either fresh or canned crab meat.
Live crabs should be active or move when touched.
Whole crabs should feel heavy for their size.
Cook live crabs within two days of purchase.
* Boil whole crab 5 minutes per pound; steam whole crab 10 minutes per
pound. The crab is done when shell changes to bright red or orange.
* Sauté or pan-fry soft-shell crab for about 3 minutes per side over
Refrigerate whole cooked crabs or meat at 32°F for up to 5 days.
Cooked meat will keep up to 2 months in the freezer. Use your nose to check
packaged crabmeat for freshness.
You can also buy cooked crabs and have them cleaned and cracked at the
Pasteurized crabmeat will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 months
unopened; 3 days after opening.
For more great crab cake recipes and other useful information about crabs, visit LHJ.com
C 2005. Mónica P. Vazquez
More Food, Diet, and Recipe Articles